Strain Guide

Search medical marijuana strains by illness or desired effects:

Anxiety

Asthma

Back Pain (also see pain)

Body Buzz

Calming / Relaxing

Clear Head

Couch Lock

Creativity

Day Time Use

Depression

Energizing

Increase Appetite / Munchies

Headaches (also see pain)

Insomnia

Muscle Relaxant

Nausea

Night Time Use

Pain

Social Anxiety

Socializing

Search medical marijuana strains by type:

Indica

Sativa

Search medical marijuana strains submitted by state:

Arizona

California

Colorado

Maine

Maryland

Michigan

Montana

New Jersey

Rhode Island

Washington

Be Sociable, Share!
Total Hits: 1

125 Responses to “Strain Guide”

1. The Bradicus says:

I have VERY severe Gout. What would you recommend?

2. cameo says:

What is a great strain for RSD/CRPS
    with chronic pain from low back and muscle spasms. Broke back, with tearing muscles, nerve damage, major depression. Id prefer not to sleep my day away.

3. Jen says:

Try taking melatonin and magnesium a couple of hours before bed. Magnesium 400 mg-100 mg/night with some calcium. Ask your doctor first. Then, no electronics or lights on for at least one hour before sleep (phone, computer, tv, etc.) No caffeine after 5pm. go to bed and wake up at the same time each day–within one hour. I am a health coach. I hope this helps. Try a Sativa strain…they can have a better affect of some people that get paranoid. Also, grand daddy purple kush should do the trick. Give it a try. :-)

4. Jen says:

Hello,
    I am a certified health coach and have had mixed success with marijuana for the same ailments. It is common for headache sufferers to not get much luck with medical marijuana. I have had success with diet and supplements though. I would suggest you try taking Vitamin B2—300-400 mg/day, vitamin D—2-4,000 IU’s/day, and cut gluten out of your diet completely as well as nitrates (found in lunch meats and such), MSG, nuts, chocolate, and wine and sulfites. See how that goes. Migraines are often food-based ailments or stress. Meditation can be very helpful as well. Try Shakti Gawain’s Creative Visualization Meditations (on I-Tunes). Good luck!

5. Aaron says:

I have a nearly identical medical problem and surgery history. I couldn’t handle how the narcotics (OxyContin and Roxycodone) made me feel – like sleepwalking through a dark foggy place. My doc used Suboxone to get me off narcotics. I’ve heard horror stories but it worked as desired for me. Not wanting more narcotics, the only options left were an electronic implant that confuses the pain nerves – or a morphine pump. Ugh! I didn’t even know I was in a legal med state, and experimented for a year on my own. I quit taking 8+ other meds, and lost over 80lbs. It made detoxing from the Suboxone easier too, but it really was nothing.

Anyway… Cannabis is only helping my pain about 50-60% so far. Edibles work great (I go through hard candy like crazy), and Canna-Caps work well too (high CBD), but make me sleepy. The dabbing stuff isn’t doing much for me yet, but my disp is low on options. The best buds so far for pain are AK-47, Blue Dream and Jack Herer – but that’s just me. :) I also tend to be a “backwards effects” person, so YMMV.

6. dofollow social bookmarks says:

I have read some good stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how a lot effort you set to make this kind of excellent informative website.

7. manage anxiety says:

Pretty component to content. I simply stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire actually loved account your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing on your feeds or even I fulfillment you get entry to persistently quickly.

8. keith says:

does weed help prevenet full-blown seizuers

9. Cheryl says:

I have had headaches for 15 years after a car accident, and no type of THC has helped with the pain. Have you tried using a muscle relaxant. I am starting pinpoint injections to try and control thr pain in my head. Just something else too look into

10. Allison says:

hey! how do you know all this?

11. Magdalena says:

My brother suggested I may like this website. He used
    to be entirely right. This submit truly made my day.
    You cann’t believe simply how so much time I had spent for this information! Thank you!

12. Anth2223542 says:

Hey guys New to the site but I was hoping I could get some help in determining what strain if any is specifically designed for als or Lou gehrig’s patients. I’m looking for extra strong antioxadives and nueroprotectant qualities if any one can help please.

13. Savage Woman says:

Kelly try using Dew Drops by Dixie Elixir. I recently shared this product with my Sister who has a disease similar to Fibromyalgia and it helped get her through the day, and was able to sleep through the night. Working at a school, she is unable to take anything that gives her the high that regular pot induces. This product extracts the CBDs from cannabis but does not give you a “high” affect like THC. Have gotten positive results from people that don’t want to smoke or use traditional MJ. Good Luck

14. mat says:

sorry to say this but i have similer pain and weed alone will not work i
    nedd opiets to combat the pain with weed and on a realy bad day i resort to herowin for releef its verry good combo but then you will open a big can of worms but at the same time if your any thing like i am i dont sleep for day coss of the pain im in well then opiets are not a bad way to go

15. Nicholas says:

Greetings I am so excited I found your web site, I really found you by mistake,
    while I was looking on Digg for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like
    to say thank you for a marvelous post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to go through it all at the minute but I have book-marked it and also added your RSS
    feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read
    more, Please do keep up the excellent b.

16. Kelly says:

My daughter has been dealing with Fibromyalgia for a year now. Has been on SOMA daily. Time to try a new approach. Just got her a card last night and hunted down a dispencary. Never thought I’d being doing that with one of my kids. Anyway…they gave her a rice krispie treat edible and some big daddy or some sort of indica…..no more pain but sleepy. She needs to be able to get to school and work…can’t be sleepy…stativa or whatever …..better for day use and focusing at school?
    Thanks

17. Johnny Tsunami says:

Yeah, my um butt hurts and I need to smoke pot everyday. YA POT IS THE BEST! I loveeeee it dude. It’s like hey braj! What’s up bronamdude? Wanna light this spliffy mcjiffy??? Hahaha wakke and bake dude. Just box hottin out all the time. Lovveeee it dude. Love it

18. ambrosia says:

So what would one suggest for epilepsy? Ive been epileptic for 10 years and about 3 years ago discovered marijuana helped, just looking for the best strand.

19. burls says:

Hello, My name is Ann. I am not new to marijuana, my doctor recommended I use marijuana for my anxiety. But I used a strain and it made everything worse causing extreme panic attacks and lots of trauma. I did not like it at all. I was wondering if any one else shared this experience and if so what strain did you use so I can stay clear. Also has anyone had any really good experiences for very low potency strains? I want to start up very slowly again making sure I don’t go over the top again.
    ann

peaches Reply:

chemist man has a whole list of strains and what they help. His comment is a few up from yours. Hope you find what you need.

20. peaches says:

Try big buddha cheese. CBD is suppose to be around 20%. That’s very high. THC is under 2% I think. I’m going off what i can remember, so do some checking for yourself to make sure. I’m gonna try some as soon as she gets big enuf. I have fibromyalgia and degenative disc disease. Hope you find what you need. Super lemon haze is my fav right now.

21. Cisco Wireless says:

Great beat ! I wish to apprentice whilst you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a weblog site? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I were a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided vivid clear idea

22. Budhead says:

Purple star helped me with my headaches more than any I have tried

23. Zeb says:

Where was this documented because to my knowledge a strain cannot produce over 25% thc in a bud. The make up of the rest of the plant uses atleast 75% of that to other part.

24. John says:

XTERNAL— its a topical spray works wonders…

25. jose says:

iam a very nervous person with axentiy issues and when i smoke i feel like my heart beat is racing any advice on what specific type of medicine i should get??

BigBudAl Reply:

Indica for sure.Try some Purple Kush
    or Hash Plant. I personally would stay away from heavy Sativas

26. jerry nowicki says:

I have a question if you can’t help me maybe you can give me email address. Of someone who can.iam from mich.about to get my paperwork. Needed for medical. Weed.I suffer from chronic. Lower back pain.don’t have money to experiment with different strains.what is a good!!!!! Strain to help me with. This sever back pain? Thankyou

BigBudAl Reply:

Indicas are usually the best for Chronic pain

27. Jessica says:

Panic attacks andanxiet ARE NOT the same thing

28. Jessica says:

I am interested in trying weed again. The only reason would be for anxiety and depression however the last time I smoked weed was 6 years ago and I had a panic attack. Will the strain that helps anxiety help with panic attacks.. I really dont want to have another one of those and I also done want to to smoke it.

29. BigBudAl says:

I agree.I know severe pain I have Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis and I agree. Cannabis alone will not treat that pain on it’s own. You need to take an opiate pain reliever and then use the cannabis to keep the pain away once the opiates have settled it down.

30. dude says:

this is the only thing that will help with that kind of pain. smoking by nature makes a head pain worse. try a salve applied directly to your temples or pained region. thats your best bet, and if not that, there is always excedrine migraine, lol. its the only thing that works on mine. bud does wonders on all kinds of things, but bad head pain isnt one of them, well not for me atleast.

31. vitobeetz says:

Im looking for a strain that will make me very happy and giggly but not make me have involuntary body movements (twitching) and something that just makes me very comfortable with my boyfriend and friends.
    HELP!! I am open to anything! :)

32. Pharmd711 says:

Hello! ebkdkgb interesting ebkdkgb site! I’m really like it! Very, very ebkdkgb good!

33. PureLol 1337 says:

hey try strawberry kush I think that will do the trick but be carfull it hits fast and fades slow

34. Bob Carr says:

subutex detox for 6 months and that methadone can be gone too.Good luck 4 years w/no pain meds.

35. mars bilterr says:

Hi. Great to see a well conducted and informed discussion on medical pot. Any ideas what’s good for chronic knee pain and insomnia? It would be nice to find a nice fruity strain too. For migraine I recommend tincture of salix acid (white willow bark extract). Give us this day our daily herb :-)

36. Pharmd709 says:

Hello! kgeedgd interesting kgeedgd site! I’m really like it! Very, very kgeedgd good!

37. Nelson says:

I am new to the medical scene and i am wonderingif it is illegal to terminate someone for useing medical marijuana? Just wonder since it would not be considered illegal substance it would go along the same lines as other pain meds and muscle relaxers i assume correct?

rubes024 Reply:

just get an excuse from your doctor and give it to your boss? it worked in elementary school…

38. bubba69361 says:

Hi everybody, I am In need of super help. I am extremely new to mmj. I have only medicated twice with probelems both times. I have had two laminectomy and two fusions. I love the pain relief I get from it, the issue is that I do not like the high feeling. I don’t remember the strains I got but the one all I could do is lay n bed feeling my heart trying to beat out of my chest and down the street receiving a speeding ticket lol. The other time was too much head high I was a space cadet on a journey to the Saturn rings. I want woo much to be off pain killers that I’m here making a fool of myself to figure out whT I need to do. Something with pain relief without the super intense body numbing high or head floating with the airplanes. I will need to be able to function during the day but something to make me sleepy at night. The intense feeling makes me so freaked out I cant sleep just being scared out of my mind. Please any help or guiding, / coaching would bemore than greatful for. A newby ready to join the natural healing community. Thank you woo very much to anybodys time. Please feel free to email me for any personal communications. Somebody who is ready and willing to help a toddler in a grown ups world per say. Bmiller69361@live.com

BigBudAl Reply:

Do you live near a Dispensary? If so I would go to see them.They have people there that are extremely helpful dealing with situations like yours.There are many different options and strains that they would be able to steer you towards If you do not live near a Dispensary try telephoning. I think they would be more than happy to help you.

39. Pearl2purl says:

I wner if you are a “backwards reaction’ patient like me? What hppens with us backwardies is that the med has the opposite reaction to what is isted for other normal patients — I like to say “Indica is for insomnia, Sativa for sleep”. So I use my indicas for day-time use, and my sativas for relaxation and for putting me to sleep.

I alo have migraines every day, all day, and they never quit. It’s been 25 years and they are just a part of life now. My headaches are caused by a weirdly healed skull fracture (from back to front, down the suture in the forehead into the brow-bone, hen south into the jaw joint. sustained in a nasty 18-wheeler accident) I hae found that accident-caused are different from “organic” migraines, and most ‘scrpt meds that work on organic migraines don’t work for accident-related ones. I have found that smoking does help sometimes for true immediate relief, but edibles may be the preferred route of ingestion for you.

Just for grins, get some really good blueberry, asnd three

Pearl2purl Reply:

Oreos.Grind the weed very finely, then press he frosting into the grindings. Put the top back on and chow down.

It’ll hit you in bout 15-20 mins, and you should consider just sitting down and chilin’ until you figure out if this dosage/route of administration is right for you. Don’t be surprised if you feel sleepy — just relax and drift away

40. pjn says:

guys you are so wong!!!!!!!!!! you need a smoking buddy. I CAN NOT medicate by myself…i get nowhere. got a buddy and since it is kinda of social thing

41. david says:

Hey Everyone I’ve been a medical patient for a year now been off all my narcotics i can’t find the right strain for my ADD/ADHD , depression/anxiety, joint pain, headaches, insomnia but i want a sativa hybrid for the daytime and an indica for the evening night time use got any recommendations anyone please?

david Reply:

P.S. I’m prone to Anxiety and looking for clear head strains.

Jarhead Reply:

Stay away from hashes and find a flower with good cbd and low thc should avoid the anxiety and is a less head affecting way of smoking

Jarhead Reply:

You could also scrOll to top of page and click clearheaded as the affect you want and it should likes a few strains with that affect

What do you say?

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Medical Marijuana